I LOVE these masks! They are so easy to create too. Follow the directions below to make your own one of a kind Mardi Gras mask.
What you will need:
- Tracing paper/film
- Scrap paper
- A pencil
- A piece of 6oz. leather
- A bowl of water
- An exacto knife or leather scissors
- Acrylic paint
- Polyacrylic spray
1. Sketch out your own mask on a piece of scrap paper.
2. Trace one side of the sketch you made with tracing paper or film. Now fold the paper in half and copy what you just traced on the blank half of the paper. Confusing I know! You must do this because you want a symmetrical mask.
3. Now you can transfer your mask stencil onto a piece of 6oz. leather. Look for leather dealers locally or buy online for a deal.
4. Use an exacto knife or leather scissors to cut out the mask. Be extra careful with this, you don't want to cut yourself or make unnecessary cuts in your leather mask.
5. Soak your cut out mask in water for 1-2 minutes until you can easily mold it. Hold it up to your face for a perfect fit. Allow your mask to dry overnight.
6. Paint your mask with acrylic paints and decorate it with feathers and jewels. You can spray it with a polyacrylic spray to preserve your piece of wearable art.