7 Painting Tricks
1. To avoid getting covered in paint, spray exposed skin with cooking spray. The paint should come right off-without scrubbing. This method is effective with latex or oil-based paints.
2. To neutralize the strong smell of any type of paint, add one tablespoon of vanilla extract (a natural deodorizer) per gallon. It won't affect the color of the paint.
3. To help paint stick to metal surfaces, dampen a sponge with vinegar and rub it over the surface to be painted.
4. To help paint stick to plastic surfaces, rub the surface with a used fabric-softener sheet.
5. To tint white paint, add a packet of powdered drink mix in the desired colored directly to paint.
6. To clean up spilled paint on carpeting, remove as much paint as possible with a paper towel. Cover the spill with a large amount of white flour, which will absorb the paint. Vacuum clean.
7. Clean paint off your hands with solid vegetable shortening. This technique is good for latex or oil-based paints