You can give your kitchen an entirely new look by simply re-creating your backsplash. Beverley Leigh Binns, a Toronto-based kitchen design specialist at Binns Kitchen and Bath Design, gives us tips to creating new backsplashes that will make your kitchen stand out.
1. Determine your kitchen’s theme- traditional, country, contemporary, or transitional.
2. Look at a large variety of materials before deciding. Your choices include glass, ceramics, laminates, metal, and solid surface materials.
3. Don’t limit yourself to one material. You can define specific work spaces by using different materials. For example, you can use stainless steel behind the sinks and cook tops and tile behind the other areas.
Also, a new trend is to continue using material on your counter up the wall and as the backsplash material. This helps to give your kitchen a more uniform design and to serve as a base when deciding other materials to use.
4. Use color and patterns to contrast a neutral color palette.
5. Add personality to your backsplash by creating a mural or by including items and materials you’ve collected from traveling.
Also, when planning and designing your backsplash, keep in mind that many people plan the backsplash last when they are renovating or redecorating their kitchen. However, the backsplash is at eye-level and should be given as much attention as counter material choices and cabinetry.
Click here for other creative backsplash ideas
Looking to redecorate a bathroom? Check out these bathroom backsplash ideas