Sunday, October 14, 2012

Emerald Green Painted Pillow



Emerald green is the color of Fall. The easiest way to keep on trend is to change out pillows and accessories. Follow the instructions below to make your own emerald green chevron pillow.

What you will need:

  • Drop cloth (I bought mine for ~$10 at Lowes)
  • Painters tape
  • Fabric paint
  • Stencil brush (or any paint brush)
  • Sewing machine
  • Ruler
  • Scissors


Cut your drop cloth into a large enough piece to create two sides of a pillow. My piece was approximately 26" x 60". Use painters tape to create a chevron pattern on you drop cloth. I started off measuring and then decided it was taking was too long, so I went with a random chevron design. 

This is what the drop cloth looked like after taping it all off.

Now you can start painting. Use a stencil brush to dab on the paint. Be careful not to paint under the tape. 

 
This part takes a good hour to so, you have to be patient (which it hard for me haha)

Let the paint dry.

It was so satisfying to pull off the tape. Lucky, the paint didn't bleed under the tape.

I let the paint dry over night. 

Time to make the pillow. The pillow I made was 22" x 22". Cut your "fabric" into two 24" x 24" squares. You can make sure they are square by folding the fabric diagonally.  

With the painted sides of the pillow facing each other, sew around three sides of the pillow, about 3/4 of an inch from the edges. You can be more precise with all your measuring, but I tend to do things the easy way because I know I will be switching out these pillows soon enough. 

After sewing around the three sides, flip the pillow inside out to show the painted side of the fabric. You can now stuff the pillow into the square you just sewed. 

Now sew around the whole pillow to create an edge that is 1/4" 

Done!


No comments:

Post a Comment